Ahearn Excellence Fund/Covid-19 Update
The K-State Athletics Department continues to work with the Big 12 Conference, university administration and local and state health officials in monitoring COVID-19 and the impact it may have on the coming academic and athletic year. We remain optimistic that our student-athletes will have the opportunity to compete academically and athletically.
At this time, we do not yet know the full impact of COVID-19, we know in the months ahead we will be faced with substantial challenges to our budget. During this time our commitment will be unwavering in providing a world-class student-athlete experience at Kansas State University. Year in and year out, Ahearn Fund donors provide the vital support to help our student-athletes realize their potential in the classroom, in their sport and compete for championships. We are beyond thankful for your commitment and involvement. It’s because of you that we’ll get through the months ahead and be a stronger K-State Family.
Athletics Budget Update for 2020-21
- 10% cut in operating expenses, saving approximately $2 million
- Head football coach Chris Klieman and men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber agreed to 13% reductions in their salary
- K-State Athletics employees making more than $150,000 per year took a 10% reduction in their annual salary. Employees making between $100,000 - $150,000 per year took a 5% reduction in their annual salary.
- Hiring freeze for non-essential personnel positions
- The K-State Athletics Department is absorbing the cost to provide scholarships and necessary resources to seniors whose spring sport seasons were disrupted and who have elected to return for a fifth year. Total cost to support those student-athletes is $250,000.
Ahearn Fund donors have asked how they can help student-athletes and K-State Athletics during the COVID-19 pandemic. By contributing to the Ahearn Excellence Fund, you provide the vital resources for our student-athletes, coaches and programs to compete academically and athletically at an elite level.
Ways your dollars support our student-athletes and K-State Athletics through COVID-19:
- Provide scholarship and athletic resources to seniors whose spring sport season was cut short. Money you give will support the department to make sure the seniors returning can complete their degree and athletic eligibility in a Wildcat uniform.
- Provide the necessary student-athlete support to be successful academically and athletically. That includes support in mental health and wellness, athletic training and strength training and recovery.
- Fund student-athlete academic successes through new technologies while they study online and away from campus. When they eventually return to campus the department will need continued donor support for academic success back in the classroom.
- Continued support for student-athlete community outreach programs that impact local youth and organizations in the Manhattan community.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility as one of a dozen athletic departments in the country that is completely self-sustaining. We do not receive any state or University dollars to operate our athletic programs or support our student-athletes’ academic and athletic endeavors.
Ahearn Fund donors who choose to support K-State Athletics through COVID-19 during the 2020-21 athletics season can make contributions to the Ahearn Excellence Fund in two ways.
- Log into your Ahearn Fund account to make a one-time payment or set up a pledge payment to the Ahearn Excellence Fund. Click HERE to log into your Ahearn Fund account and make a gift. You may also contact the Ahearn Fund office at 785-532-5282 to make a gift or arrange a pledge payment.
- Donors can elect to forgo the 2020 Football season and allocate all or a portion of their annual donation and season ticket payment towards the Ahearn Excellence Fund. Donors will need to call the Ahearn Fund office at 785-532-5282 to arrange this option.
*Ahearn Fund donors who select one of the giving options above will receive the following benefits for the 2020-21 K-State Athletics season.
- Donors will receive triple priority points (9 priority points/$100) for money that they give or reinvest into K-State Athletics. Reminder: Priority points help in determining season ticket placement, annual seat upgrade process, football bowl game seat location, Big 12 Basketball tournament seat location and other post-season/high-demand events.
- Gifts made to the Ahearn Excellence Fund or reinvested into the Ahearn Excellence Fund are 100% tax deductible if the gift is made or the transaction was made in the 2020 tax year.
Which Gift is Right for You?
Annual gifts to the Ahearn Fund and priority season-ticket purchases represent the lifeblood of K-State Athletics and allow the department to achieve its vision of a model intercollegiate athletics program.
Capital gifts are contributions made outside your annual Ahearn Fund donation and play a pivotal role in the enhancement, construction and maintenance of first-class athletic facilities. Top-notch facilities are not just important for recruiting the nation’s best and brightest student-athletes, but also equip them with the best tools to pursue their scholastic and athletic goals.
A planned or deferred gift can offer you substantial tax and estate planning benefits and allow you to make a larger and more lasting gift to K-State. It can be a gift K-State Athletics receives now or in the future, and it is also a way you can be a key supporter while meeting your own financial goals. Planned gifts to the Ahearn Fund can be made through charitable trusts, gift annuities, bequests, and life insurance, among others.
Endowments are the gift that keeps giving, as they guarantee a perpetual source of financial support for the Athletics Department to meet other essential needs – such as facility enhancements, game day operations, academic support and personnel salaries.
Corporations and businesses encourage philanthropic behavior and enhance the impact of employee generosity with matching gift programs. Depending on your individual company’s policy, your gift or volunteer efforts for K-State could be increased from one to three times for each dollar you contribute.